Sunday 27 April 2014

Oops a new start!?

This new start has been passed by master regulator Helen so please don't be alarmed !

It uses the totally gorgeous Mixed Bag bundle kindly donated by Moda to the Siblings Together Bee.





We are making quilts for children in care in the UK.  They often get split up from their siblings and this charity holds holiday camps so they can be re-united!   

I look at my children and think how it would be for them to be split up and on the whole I think they would really miss each other....



The bee makes big simple blocks for a quick and stress free turn around and I have chosen something simple indeed!

Hadley chose a 16 patch last month and I have chosen a modified nine patch for the month of May

This block is made from nine 6.5" unfinished squares (6" finished).   Five squares are just that!   One coloured square and four background squares






The other four squares are 3 bar rail fence blocks made from three strips 6.5" x 2.5" unfinished.  When sewn together with a quarter inch seam allowance they make a 6.5" unfinished square (6" finished).







The block layout is like this - the rail fence blocks are constructed with fabrics in the same order and matching prints face towards the middle square.




Each row is pieced together in turn.  Seams should be pressed within the row in the same direction, the middle row in the opposite direction for a beautifully nested fit.





All rows are joined matching seams.




The final block should measure 18.5" unfinished.   




This simple block suits this bright and highly patterned fun collection of fabrics.  It is a great mix of fabrics which could be used in so many different ways!

Our thanks to Moda for the fabrics and to the other sponsors who have donated backing fabric and to Lady Sew and Sew who have provided the wadding!







       

            

      

I just hope my bee mates enjoy putting those blocks together!

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely block! Love the colors. A really great bundle for children

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fabric and s lovely block - well done !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as it's for charity you get a by ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great block for an ST quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe I haven't seen this block before - must place in my mental 'when I've finished my WIPs ' pile.

    I'm glad to hear that Helen's still looking at you over the rim of her glasses, bit I must agree with her that this is one start that you're allowed (mainly because you won't be able to get away with not finishing it!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh looks like a good one , looking forward to it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking wonderful, thanks for sharing the block. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful fabrics for your new start, it's for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great block - for a great cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's going to be a terrific quilt and it's going to be finished by mid-July - that's definitely okay by me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a quick to make block. I'll get onto it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely block! Hoping to get on it today (sorry am late - been trying to do my friends wedding dress. Stress!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...