Saturday 6 September 2014

And now for something different...!

The advantage of having lots of projects on the go is that you can change up what you are doing.

So when I woke too early this morning I started cutting up some of my lovely blueberry park fabric printed by my friend and bee mate Karen.







And here are all the chevron blocks I have made so far...(I didn't make all of them today)





And because I've been asked - here is how I put them together...

 Step1 Mitre the parallelograms but only stitch up to the beginning of the seam allowance on the inside edge.


]


Step 2 Stitch one side of the inside edge to your square (my squares are 5.75" 4.75" [edited the square size sorry for my mistake] - it works better with the parallelograms I cut using the sizzix die) all the way to your first corner - stopping a quarter inch from the end.   If you are very clever you can lift your presser foot and line up the seams ready for the next seam but I just stop, cut my threads and re-position for the adjacent side lifting the corner out of the way.





Step 3 Repeat step 2 for the other end - you want the outer end to overlap to ensure you keep those essential points on your square!  And your block is complete...



Now making the blocks like this means I will have to do more Y-seams when I'm stitching it all together but I don't mind!   Y-seams and partial seams are great skills to have in your collection and they are easier than you think - honest!

Do let me know if you make a version of this!  It is a great block to show off pretty fabrics I think.

9 comments:

  1. *gasp* not the 'Y' seam? I can feel ladies the world over coming over all faint at the prospect :oD Love that bundle at the top

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be amazing! I love these blocks but it might be one too many y seams for me! I could epp it though couldn't I?! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Love Karen's fabrics in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another gorgeous quilt in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blocks are great, but the bundle itself was a thing of beauty!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just delighted that you've written this out with lovely photos. Yippee for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a Y seam.......by hand for me tho'!! Very sweet blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely but you know what I'm going to say, don't you?!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...