Tuesday 10 May 2016

Sizzling medallion - Scraptastic Tuesday May Link up



Scraptastic Tuesday




I received this delectable mountain centre block from Carina 




 One among many that she sent me to use for Siblings Together.   This one just said " make me the centre of attention". So I decided to make it the centre of a sizzling medallion in hot colours - orange, pink and maybe some yellow.  



The scrap orange Stars came from the lovely Julie who always seems to conjure up fabulous quilts from scraps - she is truly inspiring.  

I made some simple nine patches for the first border, from fabric donated by Emma - mainly used up in the first Kaleidoscope quilt I made for Siblings Together.  It is 2wenty Thr33.

Once those blocks were patched together I added another scrappy thin border and then some triangles - to repeat the pointy-ness of the delectable mountain centre block and those star points.  I think that border works well.  I used a coloured square as my cornerstone.



My final border was Kona White with cornerstones - two nine patches and 2 rail fence blocks - one of each was donated by Carina , the other made by me to match in as closely as my stash permitted.



Jude sent me an ikea duvet cover that Sarah had sent her (I think) and it had all the right colours and a bold pattern as well!  It seemed a perfect match for the backing fabric. 

I quilted in the ditch a lot, crosshatched the nine patches and meandered in the outer border.  The binding was a scrappy one that repeated some of the 2wenty Thr33 fabric from Emma.  


And here it is ... 




I will be linking this project to the Finish-A-Long 2016 at the end of quarter 2


Finish A Long 2016

This quilt is on my Quarter 2 list here


So I have been busy scrapping as usual but what have you been up to?  

Please share your scrappy projects, plans and ideas in the link up below





A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
  • Massdrop - First of Infinity Fat Quarter Bundle

      Please join Leanne from She Can Quilt and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
      • You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
      • One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Leanne's blog - She Can Quilt - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
      • This link is to share with our community about using your scraps, please don't use it to advertise your own products or events.
      • You can link up from your blog, instagram or flickr, but you have to link up to be entered in the prize draw.
      • Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
      • Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
      • The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
      • If you have trouble linking up, let me or Leanne know and we will get you sorted.



      11 comments:

      1. What a great quilt. You have used all those donated blocks and fabrics so creatively. Another super quilt for the Siblings Together campaign. Well done!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Your scrappy productivity never ceases to amaze me!

        ReplyDelete
      3. I'm so impressed with how you took all the separate parts from here and there and made a fantastic top. Who knew?

        ReplyDelete
      4. Wow Nicky - from scraps you have created something amazing ..... again!!!!

        ReplyDelete
      5. Amazing that this is all from scraps. Someone will love owning this :)

        ReplyDelete
      6. I need to put a medallion (and scrappy) on my quilty to do list! Yours is fantastic! Thanks for hosting!

        ReplyDelete
      7. This is stunning. A lesson in how to pull a cohesive look from stash, scraps and donations! Love the colours. I really must try and be braver with colour and design.

        ReplyDelete
      8. I keep planning a medallion so your progress and process is timely and inspirational. Thanks, Nicky!

        ReplyDelete
      9. It's wonderful! I'm afraid I'm (once again) sadly lacking in scrappy posts to link up, but I'll have a think in case one comes to mind!

        ReplyDelete
      10. That quilt has such impact, it's a lovely finish too. Thanks for your advice about the Etsy shop and for the link up , it's so nice to join up with other quilters , so many lovely ladies to meet!
        Kind regards,
        Sue

        ReplyDelete
      11. It is a great finish too. A wonderful quilt, I love the orange. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global hosts.

        ReplyDelete

      Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...