Tuesday 28 February 2017

It's Tuesday and that's Scraptastic!

I feel I should get back into writing up my scrappy adventures so will attempt a weekly post here and not just on Scraptastic Tuesday linking up days.

So I have started my Sibling Together campaign for 2017!  I'm not just using my scraps I'm using other people's too!  

These are the blocks I am asking for this year....that's a shoofly block and one I'm calling a courtyard garden block (I don't know any other name for it).  I have posted instructions for making these here






They make quilts like these.  The first is my trial run and so I used the same blue fabric in the centre, the others are made with donated blocks:




Don't they look different?!  But still similar enough that if we give a quilt to each of the children in a family they will have something tangible that unites them.  It is only a small thing but I hope it will help them inbetween the times when they can be together.

The blocks are very simple, designed that way so anyone and everyone can join in.  

Lots of people are doing just that and I still find it quite wonderful that they do.  I love receiving your squishy packages through the post.  I am squealing with delight on the inside as I don't want to frighten our rather quiet postman nor Maddie the dog, nor provide further proof to the kids of how mad I really am!


Yesterday there was a delivery that didn't fit in our box.



It was this roll of wadding donated by the most lovely Sarah!  She has her hands busy at the moment so is not able to join in with the block making but still wanted to help us make quilts.  Thank you so very much Sarah!

Two years ago when I was making quilts for Siblings Together I used up my own roll of wadding, last year we were makng Quilt As You Go blocks/quilts - I think I will need to wait a while before I take up that method again....!  So this year having a roll of wadding donated is fantastic news!

If you cannot join in making blocks then there are many other ways to help us:

  • donate wadding (this can be pieced Frankenstein style - I found a couple of tutorials on YouTube to help you do this by machine  or by fusible tape )  
  • donate fabric - especially quilt backing
  • donate binding - it is great to have this made for you and scrappy binding is great for the multicoloured block drive quilts 
  •  cheer us on from the sidelines
  • tell other people about the campaign and encourage them to join in!
Or this year I am looking for people to take a quilt top and quilt it - could you be that person?  

These quilt tops don't need anything complicated - simple straight line quilting will look fantastic or you are welcome to try out other overall patterns.   It might be the opportunity you are looking for to practice those quilting skills on your domestic machine or a longarm?  The quilt tops are 60" square and the quilts needs to be finished by July this year 2017.  I can even provide wadding ....and we will pass on any donations of quilt backing we receive.

 Just leave a comment if you can help.  

1 comment:

  1. if you can get one sent to my mum's by may 6th, I'll quilt it 😍

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...