Wednesday 20 July 2011

Hexagons Hexalong Hexathon?!"

Well Lynne from Lily's Quilts just had to say those magic words QAL and I was in before I knew it.  But it was not the sort of hexalong I was expecting it was even better!


Here is the information you need - go and check it out: 


Lynn's first post about it Hexalong starts here! 
Her co-hosts Gayle Brindley's first post Hexalong with Lynne which includes a photo of the quilt Kerry Dear's Candied Hexagons
The group Flickr site  Lilys quilts




I had earmarked some fabric but I do not think it will do - I will need a complete re-think.  Another ponder or musing session is in the offing...


In the meantime I offer you some eye-candy....


when this




became this....












More spool blocks - scrappy empty ones this time (thank you Shirley)  - and in soft pastel Lily and Will fabric with Kona Ash, some extra cream on cream from stash and some John Louden Pastel Polka Parade from my local fabric shop for the outer border!  This is so not my usual colour palette and I am still wondering whether I like it!!  It may need a further tweaking...




This may become a wall hanging for my craft/spare bed-room.


As a point of interest - ages ago I told you about a conversation I'd had with my local fabric shopkeeper.  (My previous post is here!She has responded by buying in nicer fabric pre-cuts and bundles that actually go together - the John Louden fabric is from a jelly roll of polka dots.   Getting closer but maybe not quite there yet...!  Well I had to buy some didn't I....?








John Louden Pastel Polka Parade and Candy Co-ordinates



Don't forget the Hexalong! 


There are new posts now with tutorials on English Paper Piecing (EPP) and Point to point piecing and lots of things to come!  Should be an interesting journey  -  are you hexing in!??






Nicky


measurements 
block size 6" finished
quilt size 31.5 finished


fabrics
Lily and Will 
Kona Ash
John Louden pastel polka dot


Scrappy spools block taken from 
Great Scrap-bag Quilts by Jan Halgrimson




     

6 comments:

  1. That's a very pretty quilt SS. I see hexagons everywhere and have so many ideas for them that I shall have to live a very long time to make them all. They are my favourites. I shall look forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not doing the hexalong. I feel like the only person not, but I just do not want to tackle a project like that right now. I will have to live vacriously through the rest of you. I love the soft colours in the spool quilt. Stop worrying about it, baste it, quilt it and bind it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that little quilt
    and the new fabric, just so sweet.
    hexagons, still haven't caught that fever yet!!!! I see so many of them around blog land that are just beautiful but not tempted yet!
    have a great day
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. No its great!! I love the colour combination, very relaxing!

    Erm I think I've already done the hex quilt LOL!

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your spools - sweet, calming fabrics. I can't wait to see your hexagons as you put them together. I would join but there is a Grandmother's Flower Garden feeling a bit neglected right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun. Wish I could squeeze it in. Bu alas my plate is full.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...