Friday 7 October 2011

Free Motion Friday!

When chatting to Cindy from Fluffy Sheep Quilting recently by email we both decided we needed more practice in Free Motion Quilting FMQ.  I suggested we do it together but that wasn't enough for Miss Cindy - oh no! no sooner were the words out than she tootled off and hey presto next thing I knew I was included in her Free Motion Friday!


What a good thing that is though!


She is such a good organiser and I do appreciate that because I am not too hot on that skill!  She is not only practicing and encouraging us to practice but she has found and provides links for some great little tutorials on YouTube!


So if you ever felt that you were bad at FMQ, or you wished to be better then do join in - watch the tutorial, practice, post your efforts and link up to Cindy on FM Friday - and that is what I am doing today!


So here it is.....don't hurt yourself by laughing till you fall off your chair....maybe you had better sit on the floor first before you look...  





Not too bad hidden with all that pattern....but oh dear take that pattern away and ouch what was I doing??





She has asked us to be supportive of each other - so you can start practicing that skill here!  The next thing is to go visit some other blogs and laugh at encourage and be supportive of them - now you can do that even if you are not joining in with the quilting practice!






And here are two placemat type practice things I did earlier with easy straight lines not complicated patterns like shadow waves!!!


Ok you have seen how bad I am at this so do join in -I am hoping I will get better but if not come back for a laugh to practice your nurturing skills.









20 comments:

  1. Nothing to laugh at - your waves look like OS map contours so that can't be bad - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny but really everyone who starts machine quilting that I know of struggles and gets self critical. Your stitching looks quite neat, I like the woodgrain looking effect. I found out that practice really makes a machine quilter, not natural talent. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shadow waves! I am amazed at how many you fitted it! I posted on my attempts and couldn't even get the waves right. I had fun doing it though and this is a great idea. Mutual support and learning! I am all for it! Looking forward to next week all ready!
    Collette xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it, I cant believe how close you got the lines together, thats when I'd go into panic mode haha...well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did brilliantly well for someone just starting FMQ. You are a natural at controling your machine. You'll be teaching others before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think they are bad at all. BUT you are hearing from the one person who is so laid back when it comes to FMQ. My theory is - if holds the layers together, the stitches aren't popping, and it adds interest then I am good to go. Seriously, Nicky there are no police!!!
    Can't wait to see what comes of next week's How are you supposed to keep a straight face while quilting those?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Nicky! I think your lines look great- it looks like a piece of modern art :) Love the placemats too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great from here!!! Well done! Love the placemats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sheila - it totally made me think of topographical maps! I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your OS map quilting - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your waves look cool! Not at all confused and gimpy like mine!!! Wasn't this hilarious Nicky? I think I peed my pants a little looking at my sample - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not laughing at all. If I manage something half that good, I'll be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wash it, dry it, and you'll love it! I hated a recent attempt at FMQ on a mug rug, but once it was washed and dried the crinkliness totally masked the bad quilting, lol. This isn't as bad as you think it is, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those placemats are beautiful! I love black and white! Can't see anything wrong here. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, those lines are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it has worked really well!The black and white always looks so crisp and clean. Love your lines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are way WAY too hard on yourself. We are all newbies learning together, so we'll have a good giggle and slowly improve together. Keep stitching! Soon enough you'll be rockin' :)

    LISTEN UP EVERYONE!!!
    This little practice-a-long was absolutely the brain child of this brilliant quilter, starting a wave (ahem) of support/nudging that got the ball rollin. We love the idea, Miss Nicky, and are so thrilled to play along together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh you, its not that bad really! My fav trick is forgetting to put the pressure foot down and ending up with a birds nest at the back, at least you didnt do that!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...