Tuesday 14 June 2016

The Madallion Quilt - Scraptastic Tuesday June Link Up



Scraptastic Tuesday


It has been on my FAL list for quite a while to make a quilt from some of my Karen Lewis textiles scraps!  

I finally got started in March!  I decided to use my hot colour scraps and was thinking it would be a log cabin sort of thing....



Fairly quickly it lost that sort of look as I added some scrap wonky triangles...


Then I cut some 1.5" squares to make a regular (rather than wonky) border .. 


And added some grey.... another wonky, but this time rectangular border - with a promise of more wonky triangles....


I added purple and that is when I fell in love with this project...


It is strange how one decision can make such a difference...


It just needed one final border - back to grey and those pinks!  


I decided to hand quilt this one with some bright colours, changing the colour as it came to an end in the needle!  It was a very free, random sort of responsive feeling quilting this one.  Mostly I outlined the shapes...




But decided the outer orange border  would benefit from something more so I quilted it with a Baptist or Amish fan!  Nothing marked, just quilt round your thumb and repeat ever outwards until it is time to start a new fan!




I love the texture this pattern gives!

Then there had to be a scrappy orange KLT binding, which I finished by hand!    


     

And Ta Da here is the #Madallion quilt!



So that is the scrappy thing I have been up to.

 Now its time for you to share your scrappy projects, plans and ideas.





A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
    • Massdrop - Marine by Quilt Gate Half Yard Bundle

      Please join Leanne from She Can Quilt and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
      • You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
      • One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Leanne's blog - She Can Quilt - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
      • This link is to share with our community about using your scraps, please don't use it to advertise your own products or events.
      • You can link up from your blog, instagram or flickr, but you have to link up to be entered in the prize draw.
      • Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
      • Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
      • The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
      • If you have trouble linking up, let me or Leanne know and we will get you sorted.






      An InLinkz Link-up







      I will be linking this project to the Finish-A-Long 2016 at the end of quarter 2


      Finish A Long 2016

      This quilt is on my Quarter 2 list here

      17 comments:

      1. Awesome use of scraps. Thanks for sharing the process. It started looking kind of 3D after you added the purple. Love the hand quilting too. What thread did you use?

        ReplyDelete
      2. Awesome use of scraps. Thanks for sharing the process. It started looking kind of 3D after you added the purple. Love the hand quilting too. What thread did you use?

        ReplyDelete
      3. Wow, I am so inspired. If only I was in my sewing room at this minute I would be making a Madallion inspired quilt too. I can't wait to get home.

        ReplyDelete
      4. I love your quilt! Wondering how big it is though, big enough to cuddle under?

        ReplyDelete
      5. This quilt must make you so happy - it's just amazing!

        ReplyDelete
      6. This medallion is absolutely stunning Nicky, I love how it came together! You are very clever and I both love and am jealous of your hand quilting as I can't really do that any more because of sore hand :( Hopefully one day... Also - I linked up!! :D

        ReplyDelete
      7. Everything about this is so gorgeous Nicky! Beautiful fabrics and a gorgeous mix of colours. All the borders work so well. I love how you changed the colours of thread, I want to remember that idea and also using your thumb to make the arcs! You are so creative and brilliant :)

        ReplyDelete
      8. Hi Nicky! I love your medallion quilt! I haven't done any medallion quilt yet and yours really inspires me to start! Thank you for the scrap party! x Teje
        www.nerospostbox.wordpress.com

        ReplyDelete
      9. This comment has been removed by the author.

        ReplyDelete
      10. Love the idea of the thread colours. Have you used perle thread for quilting. Great design too.

        ReplyDelete
      11. Love your medallion!!! I have just ordered the Blueberry Park FQ bundle and cannot wait to play with it. Thank you for hosting the Scraptastic Tuesday and giveaway. I also want to thank you for your comment on my mom's quilt.
        Hugs,
        Preeti.

        ReplyDelete
      12. So interesting to see how this developed and changed with the addition of each border - thanks for sharing your process.

        ReplyDelete
      13. Very interesting quilt ! I love your hand quilting too.

        ReplyDelete
      14. I'm always amazed at all you get done! Your energy level is amazing!! Congratulations on the finish and thank you for participating in the 2016FAL, on behalf of all the hosts!

        ReplyDelete

      Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...